Life's too short not to Laugh

Life's too short not to Laugh
That's why I practice "Sales With A Smile"

6.30.2011

I've been a bad, bad blogger!

How does a month fly by so quickly? I guess because I also keep a real life journal, I didn't realize that I'd been neglecting the electronic one. It's been an interesting month. Even though the jobs report is still dismal and the economy is not improving in leaps and bounds, it does feel like the employment market is loosening up a bit. There are actually opportunities out there that make sense for me, and I am getting responses to my inquiries.

I'm still uncovering hidden opportunities, trying to beat the rush, and get my name out in front of people. This month, I actually got a personal email back from the president of a company thanking me for my interest. That was a pleasant surprise. I have two opportunities currently in the works. The one that I was really excited about last month ended up fizzling out due to an internal hire. That one was a tough let down, because against my better judgement, I had let myself get excited about the possibilities. That'll teach me!!

A pleasant surprise from the interview I had last week: The VP of human resources that met with me prior to my sit down with my potential boss complimented me on my 'polite persistence' and pleasant demeanor. It was the first time in a long time where I felt like someone had taken an INTEREST in my diverse background rather than asking me to 'defend my resumé.' It's a very subtle difference, but the experience of someone being interested in my diversity and wealth of transferable skills was beyond refreshing. It will be interesting to hear the feedback on how that went.

In the meantime, I'm still winning stuff. A new foundation, an anti-static paddle brush, a bag of swag from a beauty company,and a whole jar of a high end moisturizer to sensory test as part of a panel! It's definitely fun when my roommate says, "Hey, did you know there's a package for you sitting in the front doorway?" I'm even going to get to edit a manuscript of a book that's coming out that I read about on Twitter. I love a red pen!

I spent the day with my brother yesterday. He is in town for a week because he had to use up a week of vacation or lose it. The weather was perfect, and we had sushi for lunch (my favorite!!). It's nice to know that I do have the support of a sibling. Not everyone in my family 'gets' how difficult it is to be underemployed.

I wish everyone a safe and happy Fourth Of July weekend. As we celebrate our independence, here's hoping acknowledgement of the things that make this country great find their way back into our collective consciousness. The doom and gloom of the last four years is really getting out of hand in the media. I'd not object to more happy stories in the news!!

No comments: