Life's too short not to Laugh

Life's too short not to Laugh
That's why I practice "Sales With A Smile"

5.30.2011

I've been a busy "B"

It has been a VERY busy month. I pounced on a career opportunity that is the closest fit for my experience, skill set, and personality that I've seen in a long time. It's slow going, but it's still in play. I also found a new ophthalmic device for an eye condition I worked with extensively, verging on FDA approval, where there may be a future opportunity in the making. I set out to build a relationship with the executive team after doing some sleuthing on Google and scored a return email from the director of marketing. I'm super excited that I was able to get my name in front of them so early in the process. I'll be looking to strengthen that connection over time so that when they are granted final approval and are ready to roll out the device, I'm in the right place at the right time. I also met a recruiter who has a pending opportunity in the dental realm that he thinks I'm a good fit for. With my smile, there's another potential slam dunk!

They say things happen in threes, so let's hope three offers are next!!

I'm finally all settled in my new place. I am incredibly fortunate that I had wonderful people to help me move. From the reporter who loaded me up with boxes, to the neighbor who loaned me cargo space in her Range Rover and an extra set of arms and legs, to the friend who drove all the way down from CT with his wife and 3 boys to help me load up furniture and Goodwill donations, my move went without a hitch. I'm ever grateful to my new landlord/roommate who let me move over in drips and drabs, loading up the crawl space in the attic with stuff I wanted to put in storage, and allowing me to move in fully a whole week early. I was able to spend two days detail-cleaning my empty apartment to ensure that I'd get back my whole security deposit (a hefty sum).

It feels so good to be done, to feel organized, then to look out and see trees and grass (and not parking lot lines and street lamps 6 feet from my window). A nice home on a quiet street seems like a good place to get a fresh start. I may be a little more removed from a big community, but I feel much more at peace when I turn out the lights at night.

Last night I watched, for the first time, "Julie and Julia" ~on a 50" HDTV. I think that to people in my network who saw this movie first run, blogging was a unique new phenomenon. After seeing this movie, many, many of my friends encouraged me to blog about my journey through being laid off, underemployment, and the search for a new position. Now that I've finally seen the movie, I have to say, THAT RARELY HAPPENS IN REAL LIFE. So many of them, while good-intentioned in their urging, didn't realize that not every blogger gets offered a book deal, an interview in the New York Times, or some major life epiphany as a result of sitting down to the keyboard. I Know their intentions were good, because they enjoy my writing and sense of humor, and want to see me succeed. But I obliged, as a means to have an outlet for my stress (or bad jokes!). Granted, I don't do this every day like Julie Powell did, but she's the exception and not the norm. Just as there are no overnight successes in Hollywood, bloggers do not get offered book deals every day. This has become a nice outlet for me, but I'm not expecting any miracles. I'm just grateful to all of you, my 13 followers and dozen or so stealth readers, for even bothering to read what I have to say. This is for me more than anything else.

And while we're on the subject of overnight successes, I'd like to give a shout out to two people I worked with in LA who are finally seeing the fruits of their labors. The very first feature film I keyed as a makeup artist in 1997 starred actor Eric Matheny in the lead role. I was so proud to see that he just landed a starring role opposite Leonardo DiCaprio in "J Edgar," after dozens of national commercials, launching an acting school and tons of hard work. Having your picture taken next to Brad Pitt at the "Tree of Life" premiere? Not too shabby!









In 2004 I did a photo shoot for Glamour Magazine called "The Red Dress" (an annual campaign to raise awareness of women and heart disease) and worked with a lovely hairdresser named David Gardner. He just landed a national Head and Shoulders commercial and has launched his own line of hair products. We recently got back in touch, and his positive energy and attitude are surely what have helped him get where he is today.

Both of these gentlemen are very hard workers, and deserve every ounce of success they have achieved for as long, and as diligently, as they've both been pursuing their dreams. I'm proud to be in such great company. There are many other friends, classmates and colleagues who have achieved great things after years of hard work, these happen to be two current examples. And just because I didn't mention others doesn't mean I'm not equally as proud of everyone I've known who has reached their own 'next level of success.'

Some days I really feel like chopped liver.

No comments: