Many of you probably found me through the article published in today's edition of the Courier Post paper. For those of you that haven't seen it yet, I'll post the link below.
The reporter who interviewed me was very thorough and gracious. Her goal was to portray me as someone bright and qualified who is very employable. Unfortunately, instead of her chosen headline,
Quality Candidates are Still Lookingher editor went with the much more negative (and in my opinion, completely tone-changing) choice of
Fear, loneliness rip at long-term jobless.Any of you who know me know that nothing could be further from the truth. Hey, when you gotta sell newspapers, you do what you gotta do. And maybe there are a lot of people out there who are afraid. Am I lonely, sure--but only when I'm not out networking. That headline just made me cringe because it screams desperation...and we all know I'm anything BUT desperate!!
Oh, well. Another reason why newspaper writing is a profession not meant for me. I want to speak my mind when I write, not have someone draw a red line through my thoughts or intentions!I feel bad for the reporter. She was wonderful!
http://www.courierpostonline.com/article/20110109/NEWS01/101090327/Fear-loneliness-rip-at-long-term-jobless
And here is the request that I sent out to my connections:
The timing couldn’t have been better, with Ted Williams’ story (the homeless YouTube sensation with the golden voice discovered on a street corner) making big news this week. What a perfect opportunity to share a candidate with the world who is ready and able to work. One with a much more stable past and no fears that a potential relapse could spoil the happy ending to the story. As you know, I'm much more upbeat, positive and proactive than the article infers, and Staar Surgical is an international company, but that's journalism creating an 'angle.'
As a valued member of my professional network, I would be forever grateful if you could share this article with key members of your own network who might know companies that could use someone with my skills and talents. It would be so wonderful if the 12 part series in which I’ve been included could publish a follow up story sharing with the world that I landed! Even if you decide to send it to a limited number of contacts, I ask that you share it with at least 3 people who don't know me.
We may be connected through more than one networking community (ie,twitter, facebook, my personal address book), so if you received this email through more than one channel, please take a moment to think which of your contacts in THIS community might be interested or able to help.
As you know, I’m willing to relocate for the right opportunity, so don’t feel unable to help if you’re not in the South Jersey area. I’m very flexible and open to discussion with any opportunities that may surface. Feel free to request my updated resumé and/or biography.
Thank you so much for your attention, assistance and support while I transition!

No comments:
Post a Comment