Life's too short not to Laugh

Life's too short not to Laugh
That's why I practice "Sales With A Smile"

12.18.2010

A Unique Gift For Me This Year

They always say, things happen when you least expect them. I experienced that this week, in a way I never expected. I say that because when you network, you do it to help other people, and it should come back to you, but you can't expect it to.

On Monday, I sat for several hours with a fellow job-seeker at Starbucks, sharing stories, offering tweaks to his resumé, tips on electronic networking, and comparing organizational systems that we use to keep ourselves on track. I've been 'for hire' for considerably longer than he has, so I guess that sort of makes me an expert in looking for work. What I realized is that I don't want to be an expert job-hunting, I want to be an expert in landing a job! So, while I left that meeting glad to have had shared some time with him and feeling good that I helped, part of me was frustrated that I've gotten so good at it. What I really want is for this period to be OVER!

Well, here's an interesting story. Through the same group that I met this gentleman, I've met many other people, and have been slowly building those relationships. I met a gentleman who owns his own public relations firm and a few months ago, in addition to connecting on LinkedIn, we sat down to lunch, to try to figure out how we could help each other. He is a very positive person who understands giving back, and is involved in many charitable and philanthropic organizations, which made it easy for me to want to help him. So of course, I sent him a few leads immediately.

Another of his associates, to whom I had also connected, chose to use our new LinkedIn connection to include me in a mass email soliciting her services. Not only was I not interested in being offered 'business deals' through this method (I don't believe in using LinkedIn as an email blast program), but also I am not her target customer. She was selling print ad campaign design services for small business owners!! I was upset that I was indiscriminately included to receive what amounted to basically LinkedIn junkmail, so I emailed and told her so. It really made me not want to help her. Even if I had small business owners in my contacts, this tactic is a sure way NOT to get referrals! At this point, the aforementioned gentleman became "guilty by association" and I "laid low" with him because I felt uncomfortable that she and I had not seen eye to eye. I hadn't discussed my feelings with him (though he does know about the subsequent disagreement, which they discussed~as they also have a personal relationship), so he probably just thought I was being quiet (it hasn't been that long).

One of his professional connections, a writer, and also a reporter for the regional newspaper in this area, is doing a story on joblessness and profiling several people. Not only did he offer up my name as a good story subject, she also shared with me that he thought I'd be a slam dunk for her article, and that he had nothing but nice things to say about me. She interviewed me for two hours on Thursday. I sent him a thank you note oozing with gratitude the moment I got home!

That's what I meant about a unique gift. I'm very grateful for the opportunity to share my story with a larger audience, and hope that more people will see how much value I bring to the table. This could open the door to some more opportunities, which would be a great way to end this year and start a new one. Plus, I am reminded about the lesson to let people stand on their own merits (or hoist themselves by their own petards in the case of his significant other).

I'm getting my picture taken, and the story is going to run in a Sunday paper in a few weeks. I'll blog a link when it's confirmed.

Happy Holidays, everyone!

No comments: