Last night when I logged on to surf a few job boards, I saw on CNN that Toyota was about to issue a massive recall on almost 4 million vehicles. What I want to know is, who's the engineer that designed floor mats which can't be secured in all four corners, leaving us all open to the risk of the accelerator getting stuck? I am SURE that it's not just Toyota and its brands with this problem, though they're likely the first to step up to the plate to admit and address the issue.
In the real world, we are often under deadline, or are so busy, that sometimes, via rushing or multi-tasking, we put out flawed work, because it just wasn't possible to give something once last review. Or, being so overwhelmed, we just plain miss it. On a resumé it may give a potential employer the impression of carelessness, or on the job, it could reflect poorly on the company, especially if it's in the marketing materials. A friend the other day had a good laugh at her own expense when she sent out an email signed "Retards," instead of "Regards," to an unsuspecting recipient. Thankfully, that person glossed over it and no harm was done. And for most of us, small mistakes don't have giant repercussions.
Sure, there's stuff we'd all like to take back if we could: math errors, words spoken in anger, burnt meals.... but no one is going to die because we made a mistake (unless you're serving raw pork or chicken!!).
Toyota is getting a do-over on their floor mats, but it's a bit late for that. Some things really need serious thought before they get sent to market if people's lives are going to be at stake.
It's been on my mind all day, since I went out this morning to run some errands and realized that my car was one of the models affected. I had to 'take my drivers' side floor mat out and not replace it with another' immediately, per their recommendation. It's all I can do until Toyota finds a way to resolve this issue, either by manufacturing new floor mats, or finding a safer way to secure them in the cars.
So I say, SLOW DOWN, check your work, and put forth your best efforts!!
Now if I can only find a job that will be as secure as the new floor mat design :) ......
Life's too short not to Laugh
That's why I practice "Sales With A Smile"
9.30.2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment