Life's too short not to Laugh

Life's too short not to Laugh
That's why I practice "Sales With A Smile"

3.29.2011

Get a Move on

How many meanings can one phrase have? For me this title has two, both figurative and literal, simultaneously. On one hand, I feel like life has been a little 'stuck' lately. On the other hand, I am anxious to start packing. My lease finally expires at the end of May. I was in the right place at the right time, and found a house to move into, a situation perfect for me at the moment. I'll be renting a room in home with tons of storage space so that I don't have to pay for a rental locker anywhere. While it does not change my basic geographic location (it's only two miles away), the rent is considerably lower, which will make my job search a little less painful from a financial standpoint. As I've watched my checking account dwindle, my stress level has certainly gone up - and exponentially so - every time a full-time job lead doesn't pan out. Underemployment is getting old!

Somehow, I dust myself off and keep going, even when I feel like I'm desperately treading water and what I really need to do is swim. I've made a few new contacts in the last several weeks, and some of my connections are still able to introduce me to professionals who might benefit from knowing me. I still enjoy helping people because there's definitely something to be said for having a sense of purpose, no matter how small. I feel good making introductions of my own, and when people fit, it's a nice boost.

I'm working diligently to follow up on all the leads, keep in touch with all the people I've been fortunate enough to connect with previously, and keep my current network engaged and involved. Wouldn't you feel like that's a lot of plates to spin? Letting all the plates crash is not an option, so I dart back and forth, from plate to plate, never letting the momentum die down from the first one feverishly spinning to the last, as it teeters dangerously on the verge of collapse. It's exhausting!

I'm grateful to one of my friends for inviting me to visit her for a few days. She lives just far enough away that I will feel like I've gotten a break. It's quite a drive, but sometimes a change of scenery is enough to shift perspective. Let's hope this trip works to do that, as well as swirl up some energy around me to get things moving again.

1 comment:

Marty said...

Hi Bari,
One of these leads just has to pay off ... it seems like the job market is slowly improving now. Good luck with the move!
Best,
Marty