Life's too short not to Laugh

Life's too short not to Laugh
That's why I practice "Sales With A Smile"

7.01.2010

Tuned In

Syncronicity. Such a fascinating occurrence. I wrote about it when I first started this blog and decided to re-visit the topic today after several random syncronicities over the last few days banged me over the head.

It's always disconcerting when you think about someone you haven't seen in a while and all of a sudden, there they are standing right in front you, seemingly out of the blue. Do we think of them because their appearance is imminent? Or do they appear because we will it by our thoughts? I guess we'll never know. But it's still jarring when it happens.

It's not always as drastic as seeing someone you haven't seen. Sometimes, it's the phone ringing, or an email delivery, or just some tangible link to the person or thing that you didn't expect.

For me, there were a couple of random, unrelated things, but enough for me to sit up and take notice. I was mentioning to a friend of mine that I hadn't heard back from a business associate that I had asked to review my professional bio. As I was explaining the story, an email came in from the reviewer, apologizing for the delay.

I was doing a web search on free concerts in the area, and one of the results was a link to an event where my dentist was performing. That night, the woman who had referred me to him sent me an email and casually mentioned, "I'm seeing Dr. W. tomorrow."

I mentioned wanting to go in to New York City and an opportunity I thought was long passed re-surfaced. Of the last 3 positions I've taken, two of them ended up starting the Monday after my birthday. I got a phone call to please plan having dinner in Manhattan to discuss this opportunity. When? You guessed it: the Monday after my birthday. There's something about the energy surrounding my birthday that always bodes well for me professionally, so I'm really looking forward to this evening.

On a somewhat unrelated note:

To give myself a break from an emotional day (on a personal level) I decided to go out and run errands. Once every few months, I go to the local wine shop and try a few bottles of some of my favorite red wines: Sonoma Pinot Noirs, Cotes Du Rhones, or Tuscan/Umbrian blends. Most times my choices are hit/miss. Two visits ago, I was telling one of the sommeliers (that's what I call the agents in the store, they are so knowledgeable, they've not steered me wrong yet) what I liked (or disliked) about some of the wines I had selected on my own, hopeful that he could guide me towards choices I wouldn't end up using to make tomato sauce with. He provided me with some excellent options. The next time I went back, he wasn't there, so I chose a few more on my own. Yesterday when I walked in, on sight, he immediately asked me how I liked the Cricklewood Pinot Noir he had recommended on that previous visit. I had just enjoyed it with a friend two nights earlier!! Not only that, but I was floored that he remembered me. When I told him how surprised I was that he had remembered me, he looked at me, non-plussed, as if to say, "Why wouldn't I?" Who expects that kind of excellent customer service at a liquor store?! Well, now you see why, even though a giant Wine Emporium (not their name but you get the idea) has opened a mile closer to my home, I will never stop purchasing my wine from this retailer. With attention to detail like that, why would I?

It's just nice to know that people out there, no matter what job they do, still take pride in doing it well.

Reminders. Reminders that you're where you're supposed to be. Doing what you're supposed to be doing. And to stay the course, even when it gets tough.

And that loops back to my quest to change my blog title by ending this transition I'm in. I can't wait to change the blog title to "The Girl WHO WISHES SHE HAD Too Much Time On Her Hands."

No comments: