Life's too short not to Laugh

Life's too short not to Laugh
That's why I practice "Sales With A Smile"

7.22.2010

I Love Trips to the Dentist!

Yup. I'm one of those weird people that starts counting the days around the five month mark, looking forward to a good cleaning and a polish. There's something about running my tongue over freshly polished pearly whites that makes me smile just thinking about it. That Pearl Drops Tooth Polish commercial from the 70's used to crack me up. "It's a GREAT feeling." Yes. It. Is!!

Having been blessed with good strong enamel from my Mom's side of the family, I never had cavities growing up. Because I had none, I didn't even know what a drill sounded like until about senior year in high school! And the only reason I did at that point was because my regular dentist was out of the office for my end of year cleaning and his partner declared that I had a tooth that needed filling right away. Well, of course, when you have somewhat perfect teeth and a professional sounds the alarm, you jump. When my regular dentist came back and saw my chart (and my mouth) at my next visit, he was very angry!! We were both super-disappointed that I was no longer a member of the "No Fillings" club. The sad part: it wasn't even a decayed cavity, just a groove in a precarious location that he had been watching like a hawk!! Bummer.

What does that have to do with me being unemployed? Well, I'll tell you!

Parents mean well and want to see their children thrive and succeed, so of course it KILLS my mom that I'm not working. I think she's more stressed out about how long I've been out of work than I am!! Because she knows the warp speed at which my brain operates, I thinks she worries that my brain cells will die from lack of use!

Well, long story short, she still sees this dentist!! Only now, he has dual practice locations at very prestigious locations in Manhattan~~so much for the bedroom community of NJ from which I escaped! He does practice management consulting 'as a hobby.' The story goes: his hobby is getting so successful that he needs a team to help him spread himself even more thinly. He wants to talk to me about working with him in a business development capacity, working within his personal network to identify target practices. We had our first meeting over dinner in the city last week. It went well (unless you include the fact that I arrived melted, as temps were in the very upper 90s).

See~~~having One Great Smile finally came in handy for something other than great photos!!


It's like a walking advertisement (even though I'm selling his professional know-how rather than his dental prowess). We're still in conversation mode, and both have to see if this is a good fit, but so far it looks promising. Our families go way back, so the trust is built in. I know, I know!!~~ conventional wisdom says to never do business with family. I'm not! But it's close enough to be helpful.... ....developing story.....

No comments: