Many of the 'good' jobs that open are filled by internal contacts before a listing ever gets posted. Sometimes, due to corporate policy and guidelines set up about how positions must be advertised, a listing will get posted, even though they know who they'd like to hire for the position! The hiring manager knew someone who told him or her, "You're looking for X? I know so-and-so at Y who's been dying to work for our company since (whenever)."
What does that mean? That half the job postings on the internet are for positions that already have someone waiting for a posting deadline to pass so they can make an offer to the person they found through networking. And that translates to frustration on behalf of the poor job seeker who didn't get the memo that networking is the way to go.
Which is why I found it odd today when I read the above article. Is Monster nuts?? Unless they have some big plan in the works to find a way for hiring managers to slug through 1000 or more responses to a job post, for a job that's already been (for the most part) filled, I think Monster is going to be kicking themselves in not so many years from now. The return on their investment, in my opinion, is probably not going to be what they expected. I sure hope they've got major changes planned to their infrastructure that embrace social media and the much faster pace at which positions come and go. Or, they are not going to be happy campers.
Just my opinion. I could have found a lot better uses for $225 million.
PS, speaking of networking, I ask that you pass a link to my blog on to at least one person that you know does not know me and is not a common friend on any of our shared social networking. That person goes into my mental rolodex, since networking is about helping each other. Plus, I'd like to expand my readership, and my OWN network, since I'm still looking for those unadvertised positions.
If what you're doing isn't working, change what you're doing!!

No comments:
Post a Comment