My last post, which was the first post of the year, indicated that 2010 was off to a good start. The year began with someone showing up in my life who was very full of positive energy. This was exactly the catalyst I needed to 'get the ball rolling.' As many of you know, being out of work for extended periods of time can really take its toll on one's psyche. We can only do so much for ourselves, and sometimes a shot in the arm from another being is what it takes to shake things up and set them off in the right direction.
I'm very fortunate to have experienced this not just at the beginning of the year, but on New Year's Eve, no less. The important thing when you get this great karmic push is to keep the energy flowing in the right direction. That has to come from within, and not from other people. So, off I went to explore what the year has in store for me, with a lilt in my step and lots of hope. This is where it gets interesting.
I went to the drugstore to pick up a few things and started chatting with the pharmacist. He was what most people would call quite the eccentric character. I asked about generic medications (and subsequently explained that because I still don't have a source of income, I'm keeping my expenses down, as you can imagine). He asked me what I did and I told him that I was in sales. This man looked at me, smiled and pulled out his wallet. I thought, "Whaaaaaaaaaaa? Is this guy giving me money??" Instead, he reached into it, pulled out a business card, and said, "Pharmacy is my hobby. Here's my card from my real job. I work for a company that is very stable and has not laid anyone off in over 30 years. Go look at the website, and see if they have anything. You can use my name when you find something, if you want." I was FLOORED.
Is it really that easy to make a positive impression on someone when you're in a good mood? This was all the proof I needed. As the month has continued, I still have that positive energy surrounding me. I got short lines at the airport on a recent trip, a flight attendant gave me extra snacks (in light of all the cutbacks in the friendly skies this is no small feat!), and even I still won several more contests!! For those of you keeping track, my two latest acquisitions are an adorable pair of jeans and some NV Perricone eye cream.
I think this positive energy even rubbed off on me while shopping. I needed some new jeans and had been hunting feverishly all during the holiday shopping season to find a pair that suited my needs, to no avail. Last week on the clearance rack at my local discount retailer, I found a pair of Badgely Mischka jeans that were marked down from $248 to $29 that fit like they were made for me. So, now I have TWO pairs of cute jeans!
So there you have it. Someone once told me that Energy Flows Where Attention Goes. It sounded like a bunch of New Age dribble when I first heard it. As time has gone on, I'm becoming less and less skeptical because I've witnessed first hand that it really does make a difference.
Positive energy feeds on positive energy. OK, I'm a believer!!
"Please Sir; May I have some more?"
Life's too short not to Laugh
That's why I practice "Sales With A Smile"
1.23.2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
I am a big fan of positive energy attracting more positive energy. Until I crash and burn into skepticism again. It's hard to pull off, but the world does look much better from an upbeat place.
Well said Bari, there is hope for us all. Finding the positive in our everyday life is hard at times, but you make it look easy!
Glad to hear things are looking up!
Post a Comment