Life's too short not to Laugh

Life's too short not to Laugh
That's why I practice "Sales With A Smile"

9.22.2009

I'm Still Standing

It never ceases to amaze me. It's amazing how you can be going along your merry way, when all of a sudden, song after song reflects what's going on in your life. Today was just one of those days. No matter what I did, I felt like there was a crack in the facade. I work very hard to maintain a positive attitude through this whole ordeal. After a great phone interview a few weeks ago, I'd begun to see a light at the end of the tunnel. Yet somehow, from the moment I got out of bed today, even the color of the sky seemed to reflect the mood du jour. It was gray, and the phone just was not ringing.

Thank goodness I clicked on the link to a motivational video  a friend had posted on Facebook. It really put things back into perspective. I really don't have it that bad. I just don't have a job. Everything else is kind of OK.

But the funny thing is, every time I opened my iTunes window today, a song played (thanks to the new "Genius Mixes" courtesy of version 9) that really hit home. First was On and On by Stephen Bishop.


Toss up my Resumé to see where it lands; On and on, I just keep on trying & I smile when I feel like dying; on and on, on and on, on and on! ~


Except instead of the word heart, I replaced it with resumé. In this day and age, you apply, and apply, and apply, and never know where your resumé is even going, or whether it manages to get there. But you have to keep it up because you never know where or when one will land, and hit the target!

Then there was the song that is the title of the blog post. Even after all this, AND having a crummy day, at the end of the day, I AM still here. Still healthy, still have my friends and former colleagues, still have a roof over my head and food in my refrigerator.

And if it wasn't for many of these friends (as I stated a few days ago), sometimes my psyche would really take a beating. It just takes a pep talk from one person, or a funny post to help you 'snap out of it.'  And poof, there came another song. "Say Goodbye to Hollywood." I still cannot believe that I LIVED this song.

So many faces in and out of my life
Some will last
Some will just be now and then
Life is a series of hellos and goodbyes
- Billy Joel

I made many friends when I lived in California, and now that I live on the East Coast, I've found out who the true friends are. I'd love to say all of them, but as we all know, that would not be the truth, or even realistic. People come and go from your life all the time. While it's always difficult to let one go, it just means that a new one will enter your life soon, or already has. Yesterday, I had to make some room, and that was really hard. But I made a new friend a few weeks ago, so it all works out in the end. Goodbye to one old friend, and hello to one new one. Life is all about balance.

And all day, I kept thinking, I'm in such an odd space today, what do I write?~~when it was sitting right in front of me all day~~ courtesy of iTunes.



1 comment:

The Wine Whore said...

I know how you feel... some days I feel more depressed than others. I get a bit of relief when something good happens to break up a bad day, but that isn't always the case. I know it's hard, but it really just takes patience and perseverance, but eventually things usually do turn around.

In the end, I just try to remember that everything happens for a reason.

Cheers!