A few weeks ago, I wrote about luck. You'd think that losing my job meant that my luck had run out. Lately, it seems quite the contrary. I've continued to enter on-line contests (because I can) that require little to no skills other than being able to enter the required information into the appropriate boxes. To my surprise, my winning streak has continued~ and I don't even have to prove I'm worthy! These, days, I'm actually wishing for a chance to people to let me show them my worth (In the employment arena, of course. I don't think it's necessary to jump through hoops to win contests, unless it's a hoop-jumping competition!).
I guess this whole contest~winning phenomena is a way to try to create something good out of being unemployed all this time. As I said in the earlier post, the universe is trying to tell me that I'm on the right path, and is trying to provide for me (albeit in very strange ways) while I'm temporarily doggy-paddling through life. One time, I tweeted, "I'm beginning to feel like the prize winner from Defiance, Ohio. Only without the kids or the alcoholic husband."
Last night, I was on the phone with my Mom and told her about my latest victories. She told me that if my luck is this good, I should ask for bigger things. You know what? That TOTALLY stopped me in my tracks. Why? Because I realized I wasn't asking for any of this. It was just being provided. My fear is that if I actually start getting specific and demanding the so-called 'big ticket items' (a job, a eureka moment, a new relationship) that the universe will slap my wrist for getting greedy and shut off the current flow of good things. So instead, I just thank the universe, acknowledge the good fortune and ask for nothing more than that the good fortune continue.
Ironically, when I told my identical sister that I couldn't believe all the stuff I'd been winning, she thought it was great that I'm winning, but said, "That's just it, Bari, it's all STUFF. Mostly stuff you don't even need. How much of it is just taking up that valuable storage space in your teensy apartment?"
Mom thinks I should sell it on eBay. But you never know when you're going to need spray dry shampoo, an extra coat of fuschia nail polish, a spare mascara, a bronzer the size of a dessert plate, or a bottle of sea salt hair spray. You just don't. The truth is, the stuff is not super valuable and probably more trouble to sell than it's worth. I'd rather keep it and use it all as hostess gifts for my girlfriends. Hopefully, I've got lots of those (and more that I haven't met yet)!
You're probably wondering what on earth this has to do with finding a job. Well, technically it doesn't. It's just something to give me hope. I feel the same jolt of hopefulness whether I'm hitting enter on a contest form or pressing send on a copy of my resumé for a job posting. You're just throwing it out there.You never know if it will land, or stick when it does. But you can't give up hope. That's what keeps me going. Sounds crazy, I know. But when life hands you lemons, people might just pay for your lemonade with winning lottery tickets.
Life's too short not to Laugh
That's why I practice "Sales With A Smile"
12.14.2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
That's what life's about: hope and the excitement of what's next to come! :)
Cheers!
Hi Bari,
Glad to see you're still winning! I'm still hoping that on-camera interview comes through ... that sounded intriguing.
Best,
Marty
Post a Comment