Life's too short not to Laugh

Life's too short not to Laugh
That's why I practice "Sales With A Smile"

11.24.2009

What my smile says about me

I've mentioned the importance of keeping a positive attitude a couple of times in previous blog posts. I'm lucky. Generally, I look like a happy person. People have always perceived me as a 'glass half full' kind of 'gal.' I would venture to say that it's generally true, when I'm in a good mood. I smile a lot. The reason my username is "OneGreatSmile" and SalesWithaSmile on Twitter is not because I'm conceited. It's  because it's something that other people notice about me right away~~ and has practically become my calling card.

My parents spent tons of money on a good orthodontist, and I spent (and continue to spend) a fortune on having my teeth bleached and whitening toothpastes. Personally, I'm critical of my smile. Ironically, when I'm truly happy and crack a grin, my lips disappear, and one side of my mouth is wider and higher than the other. I end up looking like I'm all teeth! Yet, these are the photographs where people often compliment me and tell me how great my smile is. I've even had people in social situations, whom I hardly know, interject with the non sequitur, "Wow. Has anyone ever told you, you have a great smile?"

Several dentists have actually told me, "You have perfect teeth." Maybe I'm looking for the wrong jobs and should try to find work as a toothpaste spokesperson! No joke, I've always enjoyed going to the dentist and thought dental sales would be great for me. I had no idea that Dentists had the highest suicide rate,  because most of the rest of the world hates going to the dentist. Poor guys! The trick now is to get potential employers in dental related companies to notice me. In a sea of out-of-work dental reps,  I come from outside the niche. Of course, it's just one of the options I've been pursuing in the course of my job search, since it seems like such a no-brainer!

At this point, I feel obligated to maintain my smile. The teeth. The crooked grin. The attitude. I once read an article that analyzed what smiles mean, and it said that people whose smiles  show lots of tooth are "politicians." I used to resent that, because personally I can't stand them, but my mentor pointed out to me that  a politician is not necessarily someone trying to get into goverment who's constantly talking out of both sides of their mouth and making empty promises, but rather, someone who is just comfortable around people.

When he explained it to me that way, my smile finally made perfect sense to me. It is a reminder that I do like to be around people, and that's when I'm happiest. So, it would naturally follow that I show all my teeth in those situations. When I think back to the scenarios of where and when certain pictures were taken, I can see in my face exactly what the tone of the moment was. In the pictures where I'm 'all teeth' it's usually because I'm very relaxed and having a great time.

Am I always genuinely happy? No, some of my smiles look like they're plastered on. Those are the ones that are aesthetically more balanced...less teeth, more even lips. But my eyes give it away. There's no sparkle. But I'm the only one that knows that. I still have to keep the smile on my face. It's called 'fake it till you make it.' That's what I'm doing and I'm hanging in there.

2 comments:

The Wine Whore said...

Nice smile!

Helene said...

You do have a lovely smile! =]

I have to run now, but will be back to read your blog! I owe you an email too... I was in the cosmetic arena for about 6 years with E Arden and Shiseido! After all these years we seem to still have a ton in common! lol
Have a great day!