On September 11th (Should have been my first clue!!) I had my interview, if you can call it that. It consisted of a tour of the company's headquarters, a chance to meet the VP, and a 15 minute meeting (to pretty much tell me my job description!!) with the consultant who plucked me out of obscurity after an eventful evening at Nic's Martini Bar in Beverly Hills.That night, several months earlier, she and a group of salespeople and executives from the company had invited a bunch of us (from my job at the time) out to celebrate our team's successes with their product.
Somehow, that evening, all the stars were aligned. Who knew that shepherding the crew (after the initial happy hour had fizzled and only the die hard cocktail enthusiasts remained) to the Vodka Freezer would be one of the keys to my success? I guess when one knows how to entertain, network AND hold liquor (or in my case, not drink very much, but I don't think anyone noticed that), then you combine that with actual professional skills~~ it makes a good match for what they needed.
Well, long story short, I got the job. I volunteered to be relocated from Beverly Hills to the East Coast, and like a tornado, my 19 year history in LA got sucked into a vortex and my adventures in California (my previous careers as a Beverly Hills makeup artist, limo driver, barista, aesthetics guru, and my foray into 'real jobs' in medical marketing; my internet dating history, my smog allergies, my outings with the 'posse,' living through earthquakes and fires) were all officially over. Ironically, I left LA on the anniversary of the day I moved there originally.... October 31st.
I went to a conference and a sales meeting while everything I owned was in transit, then settled in, in New Jersey, and practiced the PowerPoint presentation until I knew it inside out and backwards. I had one meeting to attend that had been arranged by my Sales partner (we went in as a team) in early December. Then the holidays happened, along with some bad weather, preventing ride alongs with my Director because I couldn't get to her, and she couldn't get to me. Next thing you know, shortly after Martin Luther King Day, my phone rang at 6:30 pm and the hammer fell. "It is with a heavy heart that I have to be the one to tell you this, but we've had to do some reorganizing and positions have been eliminated. Since you were the last one hired, unfortunately your position is gone," said the Vice President of Sales and Marketing.
Well, that was 18 months ago, and here I am. At the suggestion of a WONDERFUL business coach that I met on LinkedIn, I've started this blog. It's a place to put all the neat things I find, the frustrations I experience while hunting for a job, the funny things that happen in the course of making it through a day, and various other reasons for you to read my creative musings as you procastinate getting your own work done. Or, maybe you're also unemployed, and can just commiserate with what I'm going through. My goal is to get these things on paper, and hopefully... make you laugh, cry, smile, think, or scratch your head...anything but get up and head to the fridge for a snack. Bad idea.
That's my first post, EVER. More to come.
Ciao.

1 comment:
Hi Bari,
Every time I think about what happened with that company that hired you -- who you relocated for -- I get steamed. I know you've moved on and have a good attitude about it, but the whole thing was so unprofessional on their part ... it's just disgusting.
Best,
Marty
Post a Comment