I've spent the last 18 months networking like crazy. Everyone I know knows I'm looking for work. A few leads have even come my way, but for one reason or another, either they didn't pan out, or I just plain didn't get the job. Yet, I soldier on. I have to. I've got too much energy to sit home for the rest of my life, though there are days when the phone doesn't ring, or emails don't get returned, that it begins to feel like that could just happen. I most certainly hope not, and my rational mind knows that's not very likely (thank goodness).
I was fortunate enough to be invited to visit a friend in Connecticut for a few days. That was several weeks ago. I cannot tell you how re-energizing it was to get away for a few days. Nothing can replace being around people who support you, admire you, know your strength, and reiterate your worth to you. It's one thing to believe it on the inside (self worth) but it's another thing completely to actually hear it from your friends and former colleagues. Being unemployed, we often feel we have no right to 'go on vacation' or do anything other than look for a job. On the contrary. You have to do things to maintain your spirit, feed your soul, and keep you going. Since I got back from Connecticut, I've had a renewed sense of purpose, and a much more positive attitude about my future.
As I put it in a facebook status update recently, 'Bari sees the light switch at the end of the tunnel. Not the light, just the switch. It's a start.' I thought it was a clever way to illustrate that whether there is brightness in the future is actually within our control, to some extent.
So, to answer my own question, while it may not be the same reason to celebrate the holiday, I do get to join in on today, if only to acknowledge my search! Happy Labor Day, to all my employed, and unemployed, friends. Don't burn the burgers!

1 comment:
Hi Bari,
Very honest post. You are a talented writer. Thanks for taking the time to write it and to notify me via Twitter. I had the same thoughts today for so many people I have met since starting Interview Angel.
Contact me via LinkedIn. I would like to help.
Brent
Post a Comment